Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Sweet Home Alabama

Photobucket
Saturn V

We weren't in Huntsville very long, just a couple of days. Which frankly, is enough for me. But, we did make a fun discovery- thanks to my sharp Wikipedia skills, we learned that Huntsville is quite the engineering hub, and has lent many a hand to NASA. In fact, it is currently the home of Space Camp, yes the Space Camp!

Why this even matters, is that Trent's grandpa, Claude, was an engineer for the Saturn V, the first rocket to the moon. He did the heavy hydraulics on it. Well, this said rocket happens to be on display at the Space & Rocket Museum in Huntsville! And even better, it's outside, so even though the museum was closed today (once again, a Tuesday, what's up with not being open Tuesdays, museums of the world?), we managed to snag some shots of it!

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket
Trent said he always wanted to be an astronaut when he was a kid. Then he asked me if I did too, to which I replied, "Oh hellz naw". Ok actually I said "not really". But the whole idea just seems a little freaky to me. I think it takes a lot of guts to want to do something like that. Maybe one day, when it's a common thing to go to the moon, I will consider it. :)

But yea, Alabama was good. Some parts definitely live up to their reputation, but other parts were absolutely breath-taking. And they have 2/3-sized ducks! They're cute and 33% smaller than your average duck. Very cool. Oh and we passed the Alabama fan club and museum- for Alabama the band, which is in Alabama. Hah. Yea it's a pretty awesome state.

PS- Check out this parking lot sign, and tell me what is wrong. I'll give you a hint, the error is on the bottom half. Maybe it's just me, the spelling freak that cares. :)
Photobucket

1 comment: